Session Four - May 22 2010

the story so far...

Session Four - May 22 2010

Postby James » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:43 pm

The PC's alone with Albanus's M@A's headed out following the tracks and blood trail left by the child. Between the 3 of them they managed to follow the tracks to the woodline. At this point they had about an hour or so of daylight left, but decided to carry on. Following the train was iffy, but with a couple of CS, the group managed to get within a hundred meters of their quarry before CF a couple of steath rolls. The gargun, who I had decided were a nasty, bloody bunch charged them, 9 warriors with an asortment of captured weapons and one with a bow. The bow weilder would hang back and fire arrows into targets of oppertunity.

It was at that point that I brought out the old battlemat and mini's to run the fight on. Now one thing that has always bothered me is the initiative system... it has never seemed to work for me, but in the sprite of testing the rules to see what we liked and disliked, we ran then as written in HM3. I also decided to have all rolls in the open and let the chips fall were they may.
After 7 rounds of combat, the Gargun are slaughtered and Albanus looses his man at arms when he gets decapitated. Both Albanus and Xhost have minor injuries.
Combat was quick and bloody, the Orcs where fairly skilled, since I increased their ML's. The dice certainly played their part, and I'm still not happy on how Initiative works.
Another point is that I think I'll forgo the battlemat and mini's... it did not add to the experiance and slowed combat down a bit. It has proven useful with larger groups, but with only 2 players, a hex sheet and pencil will work just as well.

After a search of the area they find the missing villagers, both are dead. They head back to the village and gather help to recover the bodies and burn the gargun. Xhost spent the next day calming down the people and devising a plan to get more yeomen/ex-legionaires to settle his land. he also makes a rather large commitment to fund the local peonian priest in building a small temple/shirne to the goddess. It was interesting since he's Agrikian, but I was pleased since they were taking the Thardic view of the gods, and looked at rethemi Agrikiasm as a bunch of fanatics.
The following day they decide to go scout out the area where they were to meet with "A". It was a surface mine that was unused. Finding nothing of note or interest, they head back and spend the rest of the time working around the manor and panicking.

Peonu 30th - the day of the meeting. I had already decided that the reason for Arren's interest was twofold... first, the guys are Immortals! And are gaining in strength... they have each survived 2 attemps on their heads, not to mention that they are experianced fighters and leaders of men. Useful tools to be sure. The second reason is that they had political conections that could be exploited. Arren knows that war is coming... the more clans he can turn to his cause, the easier and less costly it would be.

Xhost and Albanus ride out, they leave early in hopes of getting some advantage. They arrive on site and take up a possition in the treeline and wait. AT the appointed hout, they see a fire start on the otherside of the mine site. After afew minutes of discussion, they ride over to meet what ever fate awaits them. The are greeted by arren and his female agent. I won't write what was said, cause that would take to long , but it was heated and interesting to say the least. Arren offered them the chance to join him, if they did, their clans & lands would be say... infact if they served him well they could gain even more.
Albanus was inclined to agree... his clan is small and they only have the one manor. Also, Albanus is clients to the Nordaka's... who IMPH are Expansionist. Albanus feels that if push cam to show, they would bend knee to keep what they have.
Xhost on the other have was angrly against it! At one point I had to ask the player if he was really taking to Arren like that. As far as Xhost was concerned. he would not betray the Republic he had "literally" died for... twice! I thought his stance was greatI the Coseles are Consolidationist, and Xhost's player played it perfectly not even realizing it.

In the end; Arren let them go, asking that they think carefully about it, and that soon he would require an answer. The players left and the next hour was spent in discussion and argument on wether to join or not. Most entertaining!
James
The GM
The GM

Return to Tharda Rising Chronicles